Is Citizenship Easier to Obtain If Educated in the United States?

November 22, 2019

Vineland citizenship lawyers help students achieve permanent citizenship in the US.Achieving citizenship in any country requires a myriad of steps and patience, especially in the United States. Acquiring U.S. citizenship status, whether through family, educational, or employment-based means, can be quite complicated and requires careful planning. Because the decision to make one a permanent citizen involves many factors and steps in the United States, being a student here certainly helps one’s case and may make the process slightly easier, but it is by no means a guarantee.

Status Requirements

One must first receive status as a student to begin the process, and then the options you take from there to become a citizen depends on several scenarios, such as if you plan on living in the country permanently and what your financial status is. You must first have a student visa to gain entry into the country. As a student, the courses and university you plan to attend will require you to have an F or M visa. An F visa lets you attend any academic university, while an M visa is needed to attend a vocational or nonacademic school. To be a student and study in the United States, and to receive credit, the F and M visas are required.

You must first apply to a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) school. Once accepted, the school will issue Form I-20 and you must pay the fee and register in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). From there, you can visit the United States embassy in your country to apply for a visa. You can also apply online as well. You will be interviewed during this lengthy process, and you will also need several documents, including photo identification and school certificates and/or diplomas.

Receiving your visa only allows you, a citizen of another country, to request entry at the authorized point-of-entry into the country. Customs and Border Control will then make the decision. Keep in mind that after receiving your visa, you are still not guaranteed entry. Once you receive legal status to be a student in the United States, you may request to extend your stay or apply to change your nonimmigrant status. Normally, your temporary status allows you to finish your studies and graduate. If your time in the U.S. expires, you must return to your native country and reapply for a visa.

Vineland Citizenship Lawyers at the Law Offices of MC Law Group, LLC Help Students Achieve Permanent Citizenship in the United States

If you decide that you would like to be a citizen of the United States, contact the Vineland citizenship lawyers at the Law Offices of MC Law Group, LLC Our knowledgeable lawyers will help you navigate through the process of becoming a U.S. citizen. Call us at 215-496-0690 or fill out our online form for a free consultation. Located in Philadelphia, we proudly serve clients throughout the tri-state area, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and nationwide.